I feel like I should stop calling these updates. That sounds so formal . These are nuggets of secular awesomeness that would be telepathically inserted into your brains if I could figure out how to update the MentaModem(tm). Alas, email will have to suffice.
Important Announcement: Elections are coming up. NOMINATIONS ARE DUE BY MIDNIGHT on FRIDAY, MAY 11. Please email email@example.com with your nominations for President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and PR/Outreach Director. Put 'SA Elections' as the subject heading. You may nominate yourself or anyone from the group who has come to more than two meetings this year.
We're going to have a meeting Tuesday, April 24th at 6:00 pm in the Uncommon Room of Rockefeller chapel. We're going to discuss humanism and art with the meeting led by Josh Oxley. So all you humanities people, don't say we don't love you!
Questions and Thoughts:
- What role does art play in human life?
- Can art be transcendent? How does that transcendence relate to religious transcendence?
Link from Josh: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/20/art-museums-churches
- Thanks to everyone who helped with Ask an Atheist Day! Pictures should be coming soon.
- Sex, God and Science: A conference taking place April 29 in downtown Chicago. We're not sponsoring it, but it looks really cool. Information here.
- Spirit Week is next week! Come to Spirit 101 on Wednesday to learn about different religious traditions (including my take on atheism!) and the Multifaith Celebration on Friday in which members of SA will be reading Carl Sagan.
- The same weekend, a free conference is taking place in Wisconsin called the Freethought Festival.
- Jesus Camp: We will be showing Jesus Camp Thursday, May 10th, at 7pm. RSVP on facebook here. Wikipedia page here. It's supposed to be really good.
Links to Follow
- If you weren't at last week's meeting, check out Mike's awesome rationality lab and come to our meeting next week to find out what the answers are!
- Let's all be grateful that us being nonbelievers doesn't make us social outcasts.
- Humanist porn wars! Anti and pro. This is something we should talk about at a meeting sometime.